Society of Petroleum Engineers
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is a not-for-profit professional organization whose mission is to collect, disseminate, and exchange technical knowledge concerning the exploration, development and production of oil and gas resources and related technologies for the public benefit and to provide opportunities for professionals to enhance their technical and professional competence.
PDPU SPE Student Chapter was founded in 2007 and since its inception, the establishment has striven expeditiously to achieve the excellence and renown that it carriestoday. PDPU SPE Student Chapter has provided exposure to students in the oil and gas industry through guest lectures, panel discussions, exhibitions and workshops. They have hosted lecturers discussing “Challenges of Reservoir Studies”, “Sand Control Completion” and “Exploration to Exploitation”. PDPU SPE Chapter bears a plethora of events to its credit that were appreciated by the students and allied professionals who were part of the same.
Serving as a token of distinguished performance and appreciation, PDPU SPE Student Chapter stands the only SPE student chapter in India to have bagged four consecutive Gold Standard Awards from SPE International for four times in a row. The Gold Standard is a benchmark for exceptional performance in categories of membership, planning, education, professionalism, service, support and fundraising.
The Faculty mentor of this Chapter is Mr. Raghunatham Balasubramaniam
- Workshop on Well Construction Engineering and Decision Space Well Engineering Softwareby Robello Samuels, Chief Technical Advisor to Haliburton on Drilling
- Workshop for hands-on Training on Petrel G&G and Resevoir Simulation Software
- Guest Lecture on Multiphase Flow Metering by Dr. Rajan Chokshi of Weatherford.
- SPE Weekend and Petrika organized for 1st year students to provide orientation towards the oil and gas industries through quizzes and interactive sessions.
SPG/EAGE/SEG PDPU CHAPTER
Society of Petroleum Geophysicists/European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers/ Society of Exploration Geophysicists
SPG, EAGE and SEG chapters of PDPU work in collaboration to facilitate the exchange of technical ideas and practical experience. They have been the names of great renown and have been working extensively for the best interests of its student members. They have striven to acquire the excellence with which they are associated invariably when it comes to organising events and executing them efficiently.
The university chapters of these international societies help students connect to industry professionals affiliated to the field of Geophysics and Petrophysics applied to the petroleum industry. They also serve the geosciences community with events aimed at disseminating information and providing networking opportunities, all with the purpose of advancing geophysics as a study area for aspiring engineers of tomorrow.
The student chapter received 180 new members this year. The Faculty mentor if this chapter is Dr. Uttam Kr. Bhui who provides valuable guidance for directing chapter activities.
- Created SEG section in Library so that students can get updated with latest issues of magazines and journal published by SEG.
- Conducted a Well Log Interpretation Workshop which hosted by professionals from the Well Logging Services of ONGC.
- Organised events like Find the Faults and a one of a kind Well Log Interpretation Competition in the annual technical meet “Urjauday-2014” along with SPE, AAPG and Petrotech Chapters.
- The new initiative this year “Learning Thursdays”, which is a weekly newsletter to update students about various happenings in the industry is a huge success and has been applauded by the whole student community.
PETROTECH PDPU CHAPTER
The Petrotech chapter, being highly dedicated towards achieving excellence, has organised seminars, conventions and several other competitions where students can come up and showcase their talents. It is because of their industrious and sincere efforts that they are trusted and eulogised extensively as an important component of the School of Petroleum Technology.
Weekly discussion sessions on various matters of practical importance relating to the Energy sector are also regularly organized by Petrotech. The chapter successful hosted the Petrotech Students Meet in 2013 in PDPU which was attended by all other student chapters in India. This chapter was awarded the best student chapter of Petrotech award in 2012.
AAPG PDPU CHAPTER
American Association Petroleum Geologists PDPU Chapter was founded in 2013. Despite being relatively new of all the extant student chapters in PDPU, AAPG has earned considerable encomium from students and faculty members. They are the fastest emerging chapter and have been creating benchmarks for other student chapters to match along.
- They conducted a hugely successful geological field trip to the Pavagadh Archaeological Park to study the geological formations in Pavagadh Hills.
- Geology Quiz was organized for all students which saw students racking their brains on various questions relating to the petroleum industry.